- Industrial Internet Consortium Launches New Industrial Testbed
Infosys is leading the group's latest testbed project, for which it is creating a repeatable approach to tracking (and improving) asset efficiency in industrial applications.
- Museums Embrace Beacon-Based Audio Tours
Muzze provides hardware and a mobile app that make it easy for museums large and small to offer digital content based on a museumgoer's location.
- Care Ecosystem: Can the IoT Improve Dementia Patient Treatments?
A $10 million clinical trial will use smart watches, beacons and other sensors to aid caregivers tasked with helping patients cope with dementia, and to extend the amount of time they can live at home.
- Three Approaches to IoT Security: Part Two
There is no single path to securing mobile devices and networks. This article, the second in our three-part series, focuses on how one startup company is leveraging blockchain technology and a type of cryptography called telehash.
- Ecovent Takes Unique Approach to Home Heating and Cooling Controls
The startup, which uses a network of sensors and adjustable vents to control room-level temperature, has just received a large investment from Emerson's Climate Technologies business arm.
- HidroMares Helps Port Managers See the Seas to Better Manage Boat Traffic
Using networks of sensors and a cloud-based interface, port managers can get real-time data about water conditions to help them guide ships in and out of port safely and efficiently.
- Six Questions for IoT Security Expert Dan Lohrmann
Whether you're instrumenting your factory with sensor networks or designing a consumer product that leverages Internet of Things technology, Security Mentor's chief security officer says you need to set your security strategy early.
- IOT News Roundup
Cisco introduces its IoT System; Ernst & Young gains IoT analytics know-how; GreenPeak unveils chip that supports ZigBee and Thread protocols; Icontrol, mnubo to partner on smart home analytics; Z-Wave Alliance grows member base.
- What Will the Internet of Things Be in 2025?
Four predictions about the ways in which the IoT will impact our lives and workplaces a decade from now paint a future in which technology makes us better communicators, healthier eaters and more collaborative.
- A New Parking App, No New Sensors Needed
Big-data company INRIX is increasingly reliant on location data crowdsourced from drivers using its navigation app for visibility into traffic—and now, parking availability.
- Global City Teams Challenge Expo: Looking Beyond the 'Really Cool Stuff'
At the event, more than a dozen mayors from around the world converged to learn how IoT technology can make their cities truly smart.
- A Beacon for Short-Range Authentication and Payments
Building beacon technology into a paper-like form factor opens up new applications for information sharing and payments, say two companies that have recently introduced a Bluetooth-based product called PaperBeacon.
- Booz Allen IoT Prototypes Signal Move Toward Health-Care, Emergency-Response Products
The consultancy is developing a platform to improve data security at hospitals, as well as a safety system for first-responders.
- Bringing the IoT Behind the Lettuce Curtain
An investment and advisory firm is creating a marriage between the agribusiness community in the Salinas Valley with the Internet of Things community in Silicon Valley.
- Freight Farms Sows Seeds and Technology
A Boston startup thinks its tech-infused approach can make urban farmers far more productive.