- Developing the Backbone of the Internet of Things
By William Chen
Companies face hardware challenges in making the millions of sensors and gateways that enable the growing connected ecosystem.
- Why Batteries Are Ripe for Disruption
By Bob Hamlin
Energy-harvesting techniques are maturing and could provide a more sustainable approach to deploying IoT networks.
- How to Conquer Fear of "Things" in "Internet of Things"
By Bimalendu Sinha
Start by addressing misconceptions about what it is and what it can—and cannot—do.
- How to Really Plug Into the IoT
By GlenNiece Kutsch
The Internet of Things comprises countless wireless devices, but in many use cases, wireless connectivity is not the best approach for connecting nodes to an IoT network.
- Why the IoT Is a Tool for Continuous Improvement
By John Rossman
Consider how Amazon defines continuous improvement, and the role that Internet of Things technologies can play in that mission, to illuminate your firm's path into the IoT.
- Does the Internet of Things Need a Standardized Communication Architecture?
By Arup Barat
We may have to wait five or more years for the industry to reach a consensus on standards. Could the smart use of the right types of software bring us to a viable IoT communication architecture sooner?
- The Health of the IoT Depends on Cyber Security
By Rebecca Lawson
It's time to change the framing around what cyber security means and how to adequately maintain the health of our digital networks.
- Zombie Outbreaks, Inoculations and the IoT
By Jim Hunter
When fundamentally insecure devices are connected to the Internet of Things, this does a disservice not only to consumers, but to everything else on the internet.
- On the Marriage of IoT and Prescriptive Analytics
By Guy Yehiav
Prescriptive analytics software can help retailers attain some of the unrealized promises that emerged with passive RFID technology.
- How Fitness Trackers Can Prevent Heart Attacks
By Yana Yelina
In the near future, fitness trackers could double as heart-health trackers.
- Graphene Batteries: A Marvel of Technology in the 21st Century
By Bhawna Rath
3D-printed graphene batteries and supercapacitors are set to make breakthroughs and power future generations of IoT devices—including vehicles.
- These IoT Pros Will Keep Your Products and Service Secure
By Ryan Johnson
With the right, multifaceted security plans in place and people with key security skills to help construct them, businesses can successfully mitigate IoT security risks.
- Managing the IoT With Software-Defined Networking
By Jay Turner
The Internet of Things is taking off like a hummingbird on fire, and software-defined networking is the only hope we have of managing the massive influx of data the IoT is generating.
- NB-IoT Standards Are Final: Now What?
By Andrew Morawski
With the standards in place, it's time for the industry to deliver on the promise of this low-power wide-area networking technology.
- What Does Brexit Mean for the Internet of Things?
By Nick Monnickendam
Britain's exit from the European Union is creating massive uncertainty for the U.K. economy. Technology firms, including IoT players, face potential challenges to their markets, funding and workforces, but they can also take advantage of fresh opportunities.