- IoT News Roundup
Forrester survey finds firms focused on IoT to boost customer service; Songdo "smart city" to host SparkLab IoT accelerator program; ETSI announces spec for embedded M2M modules.
- ZigBee Alliance Announces Six-in-One Standard Designed for All Users
The organization says the new standard allows a range of applications and was enabled by hardware advances.
- For Mining, Construction Firms, Flying Robots Keep Projects on Track
Companies in the extractive industries—including Rio Tinto—and in building construction are using aerial imaging to keep projects running smoothly and safely. We spoke with drone services provider SkyCatch about the top use cases end users are chasing.
- RFID Journal Introduces Internet of Things Conference
The new event will be co-located with RFID Journal LIVE! 2015, which will be held on Apr. 16-17, in San Diego, Calif.
- IoT News Roundup
Telefónica launches DIY IoT package; STMicroelectronics bridging MEMS cost-performance gap; M2Mi joins Industrial Internet Consortium; Big dollars around the Internet of Things.
- NXP Seeks to Drive NFC Phone App Use in Cars
The semiconductor company says its new controller is the first in a portfolio of products aimed at helping app developers and automakers bring NFC-activated features and functions to the automotive market.
- Canadian Apple Orchard Taste-Tests the IoT
Semios has brought connectivity and near-real-time pest monitoring to the farm, helping farmers to gain visibility and reduce reliance on pesticides.
- Intel's Shahram Mehraban Explains IoT's Value to Manufacturing
Having completed a two-year pilot program that generated $9 million in cost savings, Intel and its partners want to bring the Internet of Things to your manufacturing facility, too.
- Deere-Hitachi Excavator Factory Improves Work-in-Progress
The company has deployed AeroScout RFID tags and exciters to identify when an excavator passes from one work station to the next, or is pulled off the assembly line.
- Iron Mine Uses RFID to Locate and Control Equipment
Precyse Technologies' Smart Agent active tags enable the mining company to know where its generators, welding equipment and mobile lighting are located, as well as switch the lighting on and off.
- Zebra Technologies Says Beacons Mean Business
Bluetooth beacons have been used largely for consumer-facing deployments, but Zebra believes the business world should try the wireless technology on for size.
- IoT World Forum: Rewards and Roadkill
Cisco's second annual IoT conference featured some common refrains: deployments are growing fast, end users need better analytics, and security concerns keep everyone up at night.
- MIT Researchers Test Nascent Vehicle-to-Vehicle Communication Scheme
Congestion-smoothing experiment highlights opportunities for smartphone manufacturers, automakers and cities.
- Harvesting the IoT Down on the Farm
A panel discussion about the Internet of Things in agriculture reveals the ways in which farmers big and small are turning to technology to solve myriad production challenges.
- Sensors Turn Parking Meters Into Parking Helpers
In the small California city of Walnut Creek, parking sensors offer data access and visibility for public and private parking services.