- How Singapore Is Using the IoT to Build a Smart-Nation Platform
Chan Cheow Hoe, Singapore's chief information officer, says Internet of Things technologies are playing a role in most of the city-state's projects regarding transportation, health care and environmental sustainability.
- IOT News Roundup
A flood of security-related news, from zombie light bulbs to new credentialing tools for embedded device makers; Nokia tests NB-IoT; Panasonic, Colo. Department of Transport collaborating on connected car technology; Onyx announces beacon-based asset tracking.
- Fairbanks Using Smart, Connected Plows to Improve Snow and Ice Removal
Federal Highway Administration grants have funded the use of sensors that turn the agency's fleet of vehicles into mobile weather stations, providing insights into mile-by-mile variations in road conditions.
- To Stand Out in the Field, Filter Manufacturer Adds IoT
Donaldson is offering its customers a means for remotely tracking the filters' lifespan, with the goal of keeping their operations flowing smoothly.
- San Diego Airport Hails Faster Cab Lines With BlipTrack
After installing a set of BlipTrack sensors along its taxi queuing area, the airport's ground-transportation team has seen shorter passenger lines and faster pick-up service.
- Busses Inch Toward Autonomous Operation
Transit agencies are beginning to rely on IoT networks to improve safety and offer commuters new, energy-efficient modes of transport.
- IoT News Roundup
Machina Research lowers IoT growth forecast; Verizon steers toward connected transportation with logistics industry buys; Murata announces new LoRa module; NIST issues security-focused IoT report; new product and features from Loopd.
- Project Turns Bicycle Couriers into IoT Nodes
In London, a delivery service is collaborating with technology companies to equip bicycle couriers with air-pollution sensors in order to understand the cyclists' exposure to harmful emissions.
- Otto's Autonomous Semi-Truck Joins Growing Connected Truck Market
A great deal of ink is spilled on autonomous vehicle technology, but it's not the only innovation that fleet managers might one day use to boost driver safety and throughput.
- In Two European Cities, the IoT Could Help Unknot Traffic Quagmires
Sensors can't make congestion disappear, but two cities in Europe think they can help planners improve traffic flow.
- Building a Smart Traffic Infrastructure in Palo Alto
By analyzing traffic patterns and parking availability, Palo Alto says it will not only make its streets safer and reduce congestion, but also play a part in the future of transportation.
- NY Waterway Turns Ferry Fleet Into Connected Network
Using an updated, IP-based surveillance system with gateways that aggregate and transmit multiple data streams to a cloud-based platform, the transit provider hopes to improve its fleet safety and communications capabilities.
- IoT Technology Cuts Airport Security Waits
Cincinnati Northern Kentucky International Airport is the latest to adopt a sensor-based system known as BlipTrack, which uses encrypted data collected from cell phones and tablets to estimate wait times—helping the airport to reduce those times by up to a third.
- Del Papa Taps Into the IoT to Improve Beer Distribution Center
A new DC, built with IoT technology from the ground up, is helping Del Papa Distributing Co. to boost productivity while cutting energy use.
- Packed With Sensors, Thingsee One Is Like an IoT Guinea Pig
A team of former Nokia product developers is turning an asset tracker they developed for logistics applications into a tool for testing IoT applications.