Google's Cloud IoT Core Securely Connects and Manage IoT Devices at Scale
The system makes it easy for users to securely connect globally distributed devices to GCP, centrally manage them and build rich applications by integrating with its data-analytics services.
May 25, 2017—
Google has announcing its new fully managed Google Cloud Platform (GCP) service, called Google Cloud IoT Core. Cloud IoT Core makes it easy for you to securely connect your globally distributed devices to GCP, centrally manage them, and build rich applications by integrating with our data analytics services. Furthermore, all data ingestion, scalability, availability, and performance needs are automatically managed for you in GCP style.
When used as part of a broader Google Cloud IoT solution, Cloud IoT Core gives you access to new operational insights that can help your business react to, and optimize for, change in real time. This advantage has value across multiple industries. For example: Utilities can monitor, analyze, and predict consumer energy usage in real time. Transportation and logistics firms can proactively stage the right vehicles/vessels/aircraft in the right places at the right times. And oil and gas and manufacturing companies can enable intelligent scheduling of equipment maintenance to maximize production/minimize downtime.
Many enterprises that rely on industrial devices such as sensors, conveyor belts, farming equipment, medical equipment, and pumps—particularly, globally distributed ones—are struggling to monitor and manage those devices for several reasons:
• Operational cost and complexity: The overhead of managing the deployment, maintenance, and upgrades for exponentially more devices is stifling. And even with a custom solution in place, the resource investments required for necessary IT infrastructure are significant.
• Patchwork security: Ensuring world-class, end-to-end security for globally distributed devices is out of reach--or at least not a core competency--for most organizations.
• Data fragmentation: Despite the fact that machine-generated data is now an important data source for making good business decisions, the massive amount of data generated by these devices is often stored in silos with a short expiration date, and hence never reaches downstream analytic systems (nor decision makers).
Cloud IoT Core is designed to help resolve these problems by removing risk, complexity, and data silos from the device monitoring and management process. Instead, it offers you the ability to more securely connect and manage all your devices as a single global system. Through a single pane of glass you can ingest data generated by all those devices into a responsive data pipeline--and, when combined with other Cloud IoT services, analyze and react to that data in real time.
Several key Cloud IoT Core features help you meet these goals, including:
• Fast and easy setup and management: Cloud IoT Core lets you connect up to millions of globally dispersed devices into a single system with smooth and even data ingestion ensured under any condition. Devices are registered to your service quickly and easily via the industry-standard MQTT protocol. For Android Things-based devices, firmware updates can be automatic.
• Security out-of-the-box: Secure all device data via industry-standard security protocols. (Combine Cloud IoT Core with Android Things for device operating-system security, as well.) Apply Google Cloud IAM roles to devices to control user access in a fine-grained way.
• Native integration with analytic services: Ingest all your IoT data so you can manage it as a single system and then easily connect it to our native analytic services (including Google Cloud Dataflow, Google BigQuery, and Google Cloud Machine Learning Engine) and partner BI solutions (such as Looker, Qlik, Tableau, and Zoomdata). Pinpoint potential problems and uncover solutions using interactive data visualizations, or build rich machine-learning models that reflect how your business works.
• Auto-managed infrastructure: All this in the form of a fully-managed, pay-as-you-go GCP service, with no infrastructure for you to deploy, scale, or manage.
ASK THE EXPERTS
Simply enter a question for our experts.
Sign up for the RFID Journal Newsletter
We will never sell or share your information
|RFID Journal LIVE!||RFID in Health Care||LIVE! LatAm||LIVE! Brasil||LIVE! Europe||RFID Connect||Virtual Events||RFID Journal Awards||Webinars||Presentations|