- Japan Airlines, Aeon Mall Test Solar-Powered Bluetooth Beacons
The two pilot projects are using a Dai Nippon Printing Co. solution, made with Spansion's beacons.
- IoT News Roundup
Accenture calls industrial IoT a $14.2 trillion opportunity; ams offering light makers an IoT-ready chip; Gimbal in cahoots with Shazam and Koupon Media; Elisa launches IoT service in Finland, Estonia.
- How Bigbelly Evolved from a Waste-Management Firm to an IoT Company
The fast-growing business hopes to leverage a piece of vital urban infrastructure—the public waste bin—into a tool for deploying smart-city applications.
- B&B Electronics Seeks to Stake Its Industrial IoT Market Position With New Name, Partnership Network
The hardware company, now called B+B SmartWorx, has announced a large network of ecosystem partners that provide network and managed services.
- Bluetooth Beacons Bring Services, Info to SeaWorld, LA Zoo Visitors
Both organizations are trialing a solution from The Experience Engine to deliver content to phone users as they walk through the parks, visit exhibits, or pass restaurants and gift shops.
- IoT News Roundup
Open Interconnect Consortium releases IoTivity platform; new sensor platforms for developers, do-it-yourselfers; U.S. Congress launching an IoT Caucus; Google shuttering consumer Google Glass product; Kontact.io shipping Cloud Beacon.
- ARIBO: Bringing Autonomous Vehicles to Military Bases, Campuses and Even City Streets
Initiated as a way to develop autonomous vehicles for the battlefield, Applied Robotics for Installations and Base Operations (ARIBO) has evolved to support a range of pilots for users, both within and outside the armed forces, to test autonomous vehicles and a fleet-management platform.
- NFC Gives Trees a Touch of Blarney
Ireland's Blarney Castle Gardens is applying NFC RFID tags to its collection, in order to communicate information about the plants to staff members, as well as to visitors of the castle and Blarney Stone.
- Blue Maestro Prepares Release of New Bluetooth-Enabled Sensor Products
The provider of Tempo wireless environmental sensors is launching a waterproof temperature sensor that acts as a data logger, as well as a BLE-enabled temperature-measuring pacifier, a small mobile sensor and a Wi-Fi-based hub.
- Consumer Electronics Show News Roundup
Samsung investing in open IoT; FTC chief says security should not be an afterthought; BlackBerry launching IoT platform; Allseen Alliance releases gateway interface; Nvidia ups horsepower for car computers.
- Ford Steers Toward Smarter, Semi-Autonomous Cars
Leveraging sensors and cellular networks, the carmaker is experimenting with applications that assist urban drivers and could form a bridge to the age of the autonomous car.
- Smart Glasses Finding Work Across Industries
When it comes to the Internet of Things, smart glasses have the potential to deliver big benefits to enterprise users.
- Government and Corporate Programs Seek to Stoke IoT Innovations
Through programs such as the Global City Teams Challenge and Google's search for IoT research projects, public and private organizations are looking to move the Internet of Things from concept to reality.
- Eyeing Environmental Monitoring, Oceasoft Rolls Out Sigfox-compliant Sensors
The French wireless sensor provider is expanding beyond its core business in the life-sciences sector by enabling long-range, low-power sensors that communicate via Sigfox's protocol and network.